Big Data Engineer
Big Data Engineer (UK 1730)
- Department: Infrastructure
- Job Title: Big Data Engineer
- Reports To (title): Head of Databases
- Career Level: 3
- Location: Feltham, London, UK
- Hours of Work: 37.5
- Line Management Responsibility: No
WHAT’S YOUR NEW ROLE ABOUT?
Its a really exciting time at Perform Group! We’re a technology company leading the way in sports media and broadcasting and transforming how people watch sports through our full HD live & on-demand OTT sports product, DAZN!
This is an exciting opportunity for candidates with a strong Big Data background wishing to apply Big Data principles to our Oracle Big Data Platform.
Check out the technology we are using: https://www.cloudera.com/solutions/gallery/oracle-big-data-appliance.html
The successful candidate will be a very highly motivated individual, comfortable working autonomously as well as within a team with strong IT skills and a real thirst for best practice in the deployment of robust, scalable and secure infrastructure.
HERE’S YOUR ROLE BROKEN DOWN (NOT ALL OF IT, JUST THE MOST IMPORTANT STUFF)
- Implementing, managing and administering the overall hadoop infrastructure.
- Takes care of the day-to-day running of Hadoop clusters.
- Delivering robust, scalable, open, secure, reliable and high performance solutions.
- work closely with the database team, network team, BI team and application teams to make sure that all the big data applications are highly available and performing as expected.
- Capacity planning and estimating the requirements for lowering or increasing the capacity of the hadoop cluster.
- Troubleshooting application errors and ensuring that they do not occur again.
- Train and mentor other members of the team.
DO YOU HAVE THESE ESSENTIALS?
- Technical experience with a focus on open source and large data implementations in the Petabyte range. Business acumen and technical expertise are both required for the role. Experience with multiple open source tool sets in the Big Data space.
- Experience with both traditional waterfall and agile release methodologies.
- Experience in maintaining, optimization and issue resolution of Hadoop clusters, supporting Business users and Batch/Streaming processes.
- Experience configuring and setting up Hadoop clusters and provide support for – aggregation, lookup & fact table creation criteria’s, Map Reduce tuning, Spark job tuning, data node setup, NN recovery, HA, Sentry security, etc.
- Experience in Linux / Unix OS Services, Administration, Shell, awk scripting.
- Experience in building and scalable applications for Hadoop ecosystem.
- Experience in Core Java, CLI tools, Mesos or Yarn, Spark, Hadoop ecosystem (Map Reduce, Hive, Pig, HDFS, H-Catalog, Beeline, Zookeeper, Oozie, Hbase, Flume and Kafka).
- Hands-on Experience in SQL (Oracle Pl/SQL) and No SQL Databases (HBASE/Cassandra/Mongo DB).
- Experience in building large scale real-world backend and middle-tier systems in Java and Hadoop ecosystems.
- Experience in tool Integration, automation, configuration management in GIT, Nexus, Jira platforms
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills, analytical and problem solving skills
- Experience in tool Integration, automation, configuration management in GIT, Jira platforms
- Experience on Cloudera Enterprise Data Hub distribution preferred ( >= CDH 5.9.0 )
IT WOULD BE GREAT IF YOU HAD THESE DESIRABLES TOO
- Experience in Oracle BigDataSQL (BDS).
- Knowledge of automations tools such as puppet or ansible.
HERE’S A LITTLE MORE ABOUT US
At Perform Group we like to consider ourselves a progressive, dynamic, fun and fast-paced global sports media broadcasting company. We are passionate about what we do and good at it too! We have over 2,800 employees with an extensive network of freelance specialists. We have a strong team with experts from Netflix, Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, YouView and Now TV. We’re growing rapidly and launching into new global markets every year.
DAZN is our sports streaming service that allows fans to watch their sport, their way, live or on-demand. With access to the world’s best sports, fans can watch their favourite teams, leagues and players anytime, anywhere, for one simple, affordable price and with no long-term contract. DAZN has over 8,000 live events a year and features the widest array of live sports ever offered on one TV service. DAZN can play, pause and rewind anytime with no commercial interruptions and no long-term commitments.
DAZN is currently available in Canada, Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Japan on most connected devices including Smart TVs, smartphones, tablets and games consoles. In 2018, we’re soon to be launching in the US and Italy.
THE BENEFITS YOU WILL ENJOY WHEN YOU JOIN WILL INCLUDE…
25 days’ annual leave (increasing by 3 days after 3 years), single cover Aviva Private medical insurance*, Life Assurance (4x annual salary), matching pension contributions up to 5%, Travel Loan, Cycle to Work Scheme* and more.
And there’s more…… you’ll have access to the Perform/DAZN online learning portal (MindTools) and be part of our Career Deal, which aims to support your continued professional development. We also have a structured management development programme and a financially rewarding ‘Refer a Friend’ scheme. If you fancy a move abroad, Perform are currently seeking the best talent in the world.
*Please Note – some of these benefits will be available to you upon successful completion of your probation.