Deputy Editor (US 0066) - Charlotte, NC, USA
Sporting News, a property of Perform Media, is looking for a Deputy Editor-U.S. to manage the day-to-day operations of our digital platforms. This role is integrated with all facets of our editorial team and will help shape our content production and social media strategy.
We’re looking for someone who’s enterprise-minded, both in thinking about interesting story angles as well as how our content is produced and shared. The candidate will lead our editorial production team in fully utilizing our content assets, including graphics, video and data. That also includes leading by example — we want someone who has the mindset of a content creator first and foremost.
The candidate will work closely with writers and editors to produce content that is informative and entertaining, and will play a key role in helping grow our U.S. audience.
– Lead our social media and content producers, helping them to recognize stories of impact and convert those into smart, social-friendly content.
– Collaborate with editors, writers, graphic artists and video producers on content ideas.
– Organize SN’s content programming, workflow, site management and social media promotion.
– Manage strategy for SN’s voice on social media.
– Develop social media guidelines and best practices.
– Help coordinate SN’s intern program.
– Collaborate with content editors on event planning and identify coverage needs.
– Help with coordination of SN’s contributor network.
– Edit and promote content.
– Use audience data trends and content planning to grow audience.
– Grow SN’s reach on social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat.
– Collaborate with product, sales, and other divisions of Perform to deliver against initiatives.
– Minimum 5 years of online journalism experience
– Experience in producing content in a variety of digital formats
– Ability to discern interesting content and have strong news judgment instincts in a fast-paced environment
– Social media management experience
– Understanding of how to use audience data to shape content strategy
– Ability to coach and edit other writers and editors with varying experience levels
– Strong copy editing and content editing skills
– Strong headline writing skills
– Solid understanding of best SEO practices
– Mastery of writing clean, concise content
– Expertise in most U.S. sports
– Effective communicator and the ability to work well with others
– Energetic, can-do attitude
– Understanding of social media, video and digital publishing trends
You are eligible for the following benefits on first day. No waiting period!
- 15 days of Paid Time Off (PTO) from the start
- Generous Sick Time package
- 9 paid holidays
- Affordable Health benefits (dental and vision included)
- Short and long term disability paid by the company
- Basic term life insurance and personal accident insurance paid by the company
- Flexible work environment
- Casual attire
PERFORM creates and distributes sports content that millions of fans around the world interact with every day. PERFORM’s global content collection, production and distribution capabilities alongside industry leading digital products are unrivalled in the market and enable PERFORM to generate revenues through licensing, advertising and subscription.
Every year PERFORM produces and distributes over 43,000 live events, 4.7bn video on demand streams, 430,000 editorial articles and up to 1,600 data points for over 30,000 events across over 2,600 distribution clients.
Our direct to consumer products reach over 65m sports fans every month and includes Goal, the world’s largest soccer website, whilst ePlayer, the world’s largest sports video platform reaches a further 120m fans per month making PERFORM the largest digital sports advertising network.
Headquartered in London, PERFORM employs over 1,400 staff and has offices around the world. Our clients include sports federations including the ATP, WTA Tennis, Premier League and NBA as well as numerous global brands in broadcast and online publishing.