Legal Counsel, North America (US 0354)
|SO WHAT’S YOUR NEW ROLE ABOUT?|
Legal Counsel, North America is a new role within the DAZN Legal Team. Since launch, the DAZN business has expanded rapidly and the legal function continues to grow to support this dynamic and exciting business, particularly with DAZN’s US launch coming up in September.
Reporting to Senior Legal Counsel, North America, the successful candidate will provide legal support to all parts of the business, and will have the opportunity to work on a broad range of matters including sports rights acquisition, general commercial agreements (including partnerships & distribution), technology contracts, regulatory matters, product clearance and any other issues that are experienced by a customer-facing business (e.g., talent, advertising, privacy, labor & employment). In particular, the successful candidate will be able to pick up and lead the legal support on important projects that are critical to the success of the US business launch and the continued success of the Canada business. However, we’re looking for more than a lawyer. We’re looking for a creative problem solver with a can-do attitude who understands the importance of collegiality and teamwork.
The role represents a fantastic opportunity for a media, IP and/or commercial lawyer to move into one of the most exciting businesses in the sports industry. Also, as DAZN continues to expand, it offers the candidate the chance to build their profile across the business and develop their role.
|WHAT WILL YOU DO IN YOUR NEW ROLE?|
- Manage key relationships and act as the ‘single point of contact’ for certain legal issues with stakeholders in Commercial, Marketing, Ops and Product
- Negotiate and draft high value contracts with sports rights holders
- Negotiate partnership agreements with important partners
- Provide advice on privacy, regulatory and labor & employment matters
- Negotiate and draft high value contracts with key technology, distribution and other service providers
|DO YOU HAVE THESE ESSENTIALS?|
The dynamic, innovative and fast-paced nature of DAZN’s business requires that DAZN’s lawyers not only possess excellent legal skills but are also commercially astute, highly responsive, driven to fulfill the strategic objectives of the business and have demonstrated an ability to handle a broad range of responsibilities and prioritize between competing obligations in a fast-paced environment.
Although DAZN is willing to consider a wide range of candidates for this role, a successful candidate is likely to have the following experience level and skills (although ultimately, personality and culture fit will be given equal weight in consideration):
- J.D. degree from U.S. accredited institution;
- Bar membership with the ability to work in-house in New York;
- 4-6 years of post-J.D. experience, including either law firm or prior in-house legal team;
- Significant experience of copyright licensing, whether the acquisition and/or distribution of content;
- Meaningful experience with a wide range of commercial and technology services contracts;
- Excellent technical legal skills, especially first-class drafting and interpretative abilities;
- Highly commercial and constructive negotiating and problem-solving abilities;
- Experience working on matters with a high degree of autonomy;
- An ability to juggle a large workload and rapidly shifting priorities;
- A willingness to operate out of his or her comfort zone and a willingness to play a proactive role in developing DAZN’s legal function;
- Entrepreneurial spirit and creative thinking;
- Clear, concise communication skills; and
- Strong analytical capabilities and judgment, even when the rules are unclear and the issues are of first impression.
(Although not required, prior in-house experience and/or work experience in the sports industry and/or familiarity with sports, especially fight sports, is a plus)
|RANGE OF WORK|
DAZN’s legal function has responsibility for providing support to all aspects of the DAZN business, which includes commercial, intellectual property, regulatory, product, labor & employment, litigation and property matters across various jurisdictions (with assistance from outside counsel, where necessary).
The role will offer many opportunities to take on and own non-legal responsibilities. Whilst the successful candidate will not typically be deeply involved with non-commercial legal matters, as a senior lawyer in the team and a senior member of the growing NY office, they will be expected to take responsibility for items which are outside of the normal scope of a traditional “legal role”.
The successful candidate will focus on matters relating to DAZN’s North America business (US and Canada) and can expect to undertake a wide and exciting variety of work, including the negotiation of major sports rights deals, high value contracts with technology service providers, and distribution agreements with important partners in the US. In particular, the candidate will be able to pick up and lead the legal support on important projects relating to the US and/or Canadian business. The candidate may also be expected to provide legal support to other divisions within the Perform Group on an ad hoc basis.
|ABOUT DAZN & PERFORM|
Launched in August 2016, DAZN is a sports streaming service that allows users to watch some of the best and most compelling live and on demand sports content. DAZN (pronounced ‘Da Zone’) is currently available via the web (DAZN.com) and as an App on mobile, game consoles & connected TVs in Canada, Japan, Germany, Austria, Switzerland & Italy; and will launch this year in the US in September.
DAZN is a division within the Perform Group, a global market leader and one of the fastest growing businesses in digital sports content across multiple platforms. Perform Group owns one of the largest portfolios of digital sports rights in the world through contracts relating to more than 200 sports leagues, tournaments and events and is actively developing its business both organically and through mergers and acquisitions.
You’ll receive up to 15 days of Paid Time Off (from the start), 9 paid holidays, Affordable Health Benefits (dental and vision included), Generous Sick Time package, Competitive Parental Leave , Short and long term disability paid by the company, Basic term life insurance and personal accident insurance paid by the company, 401(k), Flexible work environment
And there’s more…… You’ll have access to the Perform online learning portal (MindTools) and be part of our Career Deal, which aims to support your continued professional development. We also have a structured management development program and a financially rewarding Refer a Friend scheme. If you fancy a move abroad; Perform are currently seeking the best talent in a number of countries around the world!