Lead Data Scientist – DAZN (ITA0074)
The Lead Data Scientist is an internal consultant whose primary role is to act as a conduit between our EVP (Revenue) and our Data Consulting (data analytics) team.
The EVP (Revenue) is responsible for delivering revenue targets in each of our markets and they will want to understand their region, answer specific business questions and make business decisions all supported by “data”. The analysis of data, to answer such questions, will be conducted by the Data Consulting team. This role is, therefore, a critical interface between commercial / business teams and the data analytics team.
To answer such questions this role must be able to translate business questions / issues into analytical requirements and will, therefore, need to have strong experience in a commercial environment as well as a firm understanding of current analytical techniques.
You will need to demonstrate the following key skills:
Business Knowledge: Understanding of business measurement of key performance indicators and the levers the business can press to make significant and impactful change.
Business Commentary: Articulation of insight to explain current and forecasted trends, their impact and the opportunities that may arise.
Macro-Perspective: Understanding of the company’s business strategy, current business issues and priorities.
Hypothesis Validation: Converting business questions into valid hypotheses and teaching commercial stakeholders how to frame questions in a way that can be answered by data analytics.
Data Analysis: Evaluating data using analytical and logical reasoning for the discovery of insight, e.g. predictive modelling. The understanding of the valid statistical techniques / analytical model to answer specific questions is key to this role.
Data Modelling: Understanding how the structure of data can enable or hinder the generation of analysis that is being requested by the business.
HERE’S A BREAKDOWN OF WHAT YOU’LL DO (NOT ALL OF IT, JUST THE MOST IMPORTANT STUFF)
- Working with business / commercial stakeholders to translate their requirements into questions that can be answered analytically in the form of user stories
- Challenge the data consulting team on the type and level of analysis that can, in fact, be done; if there are gaps in data that need to be filled, understand and document these and then add remediation steps to the relevant data engineering road map
- Review the output of the data consulting team to assess whether it has answered the business question effectively and determine if further analysis is required
- Story-telling to explain the analysis provided by the data consulting team to business stakeholders, adding context and suggested actions we can take from an understanding of this analysis
- Working with senior business partners in other regions to share best practice and cross pollinate learnings across markets
- Capture requirements for self-serve dashboarding from the business and check that any reports produced are fit for purpose
DO YOU HAVE THESE ESSENTIALS?
- Broad knowledge of analytics across functions preferred (Marketing, Product, Commercial & Research)
- Proven record of business acumen, whether within an analytical or functional / commercial environment
- Working knowledge of modelling steps (exploration, feature engineering, supervised & unsupervised learning, model assessment & deployment)
- Strong communication, influencing and stakeholder management skills
- Strong delivery capability – able to get things done, and perform under pressure
- Leadership skills preferred – able to set direction, build capability, and rally people to a cause
- +5 years of experience in data modelling, reporting and / or data management
- A minimum of a 2:1 Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a STEM subject
NOT ESSENTIAL BUT GREAT IF YOU ALSO HAVE
- A strong interest in Sports, both as a fan and as an industry
- Ability to prioritise and filter out “noise” from critical issues / long term projects and maintain focus on value add reporting
- An adaptable / flexible personality will be critical as priorities and business issues will change
HERE’S A BIT MORE ABOUT US
In 2015, DAZN was simply an idea. Now we are a global sports media tech company with over 2000 permanent employees and a unique product live in 5 territories, with more on the horizon.
If you were to ask one of our employees what it’s like to work at DAZN you may hear words such as progressive, brave, dynamic, agile and fun. We have a team of intelligent, hard-working individuals who believe in our product and who want to support our common goal: to change the way the world sees sport.
Using world class technological infrastructure and with expertise from the BBC, SKY, ESPN, FIFA, Nike, Facebook, Twitter, Spotify, Amazon and Now TV to name a few, DAZN features the widest array of live, on-demand and original sports content ever offered on one platform.
DAZN is available in US, Canada, Germany, Japan, Italy, Switzerland and Austria on most connected devices including Smart TVs, smartphones, tablets and games consoles.
To find out more visit: http://media.dazn.com
IT BENEFITS INCLUDE…
26 days’ annual leave (increasing by 3 days after 3 years), plus lunch vouchers