Data Engineer (US 0365)
HERE’S SOME INFORMATION FOR YOU
We’re hiring a data engineer to join our growing data science and analytics team at Perform to work on our market leading Opta service. This engineer will work on a growing multidisciplinary team that is responsible for the development and implementation of advanced sport metrics. The analytics team builds data science models, logic, and metrics based on sport data. Those data and metrics are then sold through Opta’s API and user interfaces to external customers in the media and professional sports.
On the job you will have a major influence over the new frameworks and pipelines we are building to productise our models and metrics. We are looking for someone who relishes the design process and can work with high autonomy. This is an individual contributor role that will have opportunities to work on high impact and new projects.
HERE’S A BREAKDOWN OF WHAT YOU’LL DO (NOT ALL OF IT, JUST THE MOST IMPORTANT STUFF)
- Working with Data Science to implement sporting metrics from a variety of data sources
- Create and maintain optimal data pipelines
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimising data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Contribute to the team by sharing new ideas and technologies in meetings
- Defining data retention policies
- Identify ways to improve data reliability, efficiency and quality
- Adhere to department policies, procedures, guidelines and best practice initiatives
- Accurately record your time spent on projects and communicate your progress made on tasks
- Take part in regular one-to-one meetings with their Line Manager.
- Work closely with product managers to clarify specifications and provide accurate estimations
- Work with stakeholders including the product and data teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs
DO YOU HAVE THESE ESSENTIALS?
- 3+ years of data engineering with major contributions to the projects you work on
- Ability to communicate complex technical solutions in a non-technical manner
- A strong experience of both consuming and producing APIs
- Adept operating in an on-premise and cloud native environments.
- Experience with a variety of data sources, including RDBMS, NoSQL, HDFS
- Strong Python coding skills
- Previous experience working with a workflow management tool
- Strong mathematical and data analytics abilities
- Experience with orchestration frameworks like Airflow or Luigi
- Experience of database design and best practices
- Experience with batch ETL
- Experience with data warehousing
- Extensive experience of handing and analyzing large data sets efficiently
- An interest in data science and machine learning
IT WOULD BE GREAT IF YOU HAD THESE TECHNICAL SKILLS
- Java, notably Scala and Akka
- Message Queues inc. RabbitMQ and ActiveMQ
- Containers, notably Docker and Kubernates
- Cloud IaaS and PaaS, notably AWS and GCP
- Continuous Integration
- REST, gRPC
- MySQL, Oracle RDBMS
- HDFS, Parquet
- Configuration Management, notably Ansible
HERE’S A LITTLE MORE ABOUT US
Perform Content is the complete sports content provider. With over 1500 employees in 30+ global territories, we work with our partners and customers to change the way people experience sport around the world.
We create, collect and distribute cutting-edge sports data via Opta, performance data and tools to drive on-pitch success through OptaPro, sports news and content through Omnisport, and high-quality betting content through Perform Betting, all of which are underpinned by our globally trusted integrity operation.
By delivering more content, quicker, more accurately and in more detail than anyone else, we allow our customers to create experiences that engage fans and drive revenues.
Find out more at www.performgroup.com